With the spring and summer storms in full swing around here a question we get a lot is what is reportable weather conditions that the weather service wants?
- Winds in excess of 56 mph
- Damage caused by winds to trees, power lines and structures.
Winds that are over 56 MPH will create some structural damage to houses (Chimneys, shingles). break off large limbs off healthy trees, and uproot trees. If you aren’t seeing these conditions, chances are winds are below 56 MPH unless its measured from your personal weather station.
- Hail, initially any size, then quarter size (1″) afterwards.
- Tornado’s, Funnel Clouds, Wall Clouds or rotation in the clouds.
- Flooding, where flooding does not normally occur
Things that we do not report to the NWS.
- Excessive lightning
- Heavy rainfall (unless flooding is occurring)
- Power outages
- Temporary flooding from runoff